Thursday 18 August 2011

Stage Six: Siena to Rome

















Target Rome acquired. Heat seeking velocepede does battle with rush-hour traffic and dives into it down the middle of the road playing chicken with oncoming mopeds. Coffee is the only solution. Shouting OI! works in any language and the warm-hearted sports loving pedestrians cheer you on. Brilliant.



The original plan to skirt the centre to the north was never going to work, the geography and the road network funnel you into the city's fast-beating heart. Rome by night on a loaded bicycle is exhilerating to say the least. The atmosphere is wonderful, even the police are friendly and helpful with directions. The only drawback is the cobbled streets which shake your eyeballs out so I crossed the city in pedestrian style.












Tuscany was as photogenic as ever, miles of undulating hills awash with colour and texture.












The downside of urban Italy is that the roadside is used as one big communal dustbin and whilst watching the traffic on your left you have to dodge half empty bottles of water, smashed wing mirrors, huge Iveco mudflaps and bin bags full of crap in the little bit of road you are left with. Steptoe and Son would have a field day! And "Italian Rules" parking is something to reckon with too.

Starting tomorrow (Tuesday18th) this 230km stage gets me well past the half way point of the trip. But having been to Rome a few years ago with my son Jack, and knowing that it is, for all it's beauty, hectic and expensive, I'm planning to avoid the centre and skirt round the city to the North and East heading for Colleferro, 50km SE of the city, where I plan to take my next rest day.

You'll see on the map to the left the last stage into Rome is marked by a little pick up truck. This is where I was kindly given a lift in 1984 by a couple of blokes who took pity on me getting absolutely drenched in continous thunderstorms, put me up in their lock-up overnight and introduced me to chestnut jam!

It's very cold out of the sun here right now, but I have heard rumours of temperature rises next week:) Let's hope so! And no thunderstorms please!

No comments:

Post a Comment