Tuesday 16 August 2011

Prologue

In 1984 the world was different, and so was I. The world is ever changing, and so am I. Hardly a cell in my body exists now that existed then, but many of my dreams remain.

At twenty-four I set off across Europe on a bicycle and rode from Calais to Athens, just to see what it was like. I’m going to do it again and see what has changed.

I’m planning to leave England on September 4th and I'll update this blog as I go. You are very welcome to join me.

The original journey started in on October 8th 1984. After working for several months running a burger stand at festivals and at the Leicester Square Hippodrome as installation technicians, my companion Gary and I arrived in Calais on a drizzly overcast afternoon.

Gary turned back on the second day to return to his girlfriend. I continued alone. The map shows the route taken during the first ten days. I'm planning to follow the same route and the story of my journey will unfold below.

Day Zero: Dover
Well, despite very grumpy rail staff objecting to the amount of baggage attached to the bike they let me on the train! Had my first puncture just a mile from Paddington, got shouted at by a busybody who climed my bike was "unattended luggage" whilst park outside of Boots (what am I supposed to do; take it inside?). Had fish and chips in the pub opposite Dover Priory station to goodbye to English food and now I must dash off to the ferry!. Here we go!



1 comment:

  1. Well Richard, I take my hat off to you! This is quite a commitment to make and I will look forward to reading of your progress and your musings on life from the saddle.

    If its a road travelled twice is it a dual carriageway? (Oh dear, sorry!!!)

    ReplyDelete